Thursday 19 April 2018

My American Nines: F-94D Starfire


The Canadair CT-133 Silver Star was a license built variant of the Lockheed T-33 Shooting Star, a two seat jet trainer which started out from the original P-80/F-80. In turn the Lockheed P-94 Starfire would later evolve from the T-33 and appear in World of Warplanes as a tier IX Multirole Fighter for the American tree.

One of the major differences between the Lockheed T-33 and the Canadair CL-30 (internal manufacturer's designation) was the choice of engines, the Shooting Star had Allison J33, the Silver Star used Rolls-Royce Nene 10.

A few years ago I visited British Columbia Aviation Museum, just outside the Victoria International Airport and got the opportunity to see this aircraft with my own eyes. It was hard to get a good shot of this aircraft, due in part to it's location inside the museum, the other planes around it and unfavorable lighting. Despite that, I got one of those once in a lifetime opportunities to do this....



Although you can't really tell from this image, the cockpit was a real tight fit. Up front, all of the controls were in spots that didn't promote comfort. For me, once I sat in the seat, that was it, no real moving around after the straps went on and the canopy was closed.

I had a model of this when I was a whole lot younger, never did finish it though....but the pictures and memories of this experience (especially shared with my son) will more than make up for not completing that long, almost forgotten childhood project.

However, the big kid in me can still pretend to fly it....

No comments:

Post a Comment