Friday 13 April 2018

The Spirit Of Wild Bill


I think it could be the most iconic American aircraft of World War Two and I was introduced to it thanks to a Tongue in Cheek movie.


Steven Spielberg's 1941 could be a hard movie to make today, since it breaks so many social, gender and other taboos of our modern, sensitive society.

Long before I learned about the adventures of the American Volunteer Group, Claire Lee Chennault and the air war over China's skies, my introduction to the Curtiss P-40 was through the late, great actor, John Belushi. Thanks to his over the top comedic portrayal of Captain "Wild Bill" Kelso and his antics in that plane, he "burned" (if you have seen the movie, you will get the reference) the Warhawk into my memory from a more innocent time....

No comments:

Post a Comment