Monday 8 May 2017

Shinden Iaido


I can't remember the first time I saw the Japanese Kyushu J7W1 Shinden, but I have been captivated by it's design ever since. Much like the Messerschmitt Me 262, the Shinden always struck me as a misplaced plane from the "wrong time," especially when compared to their Allied contemporaries. Sleek fuselage and swept back wings, strong influences on aircraft that would dominate the skies in the post-war era and all the way up to the present day. Truly, an aircraft ahead of it's time, from an aesthetic perspective.

However, like the Messerschmitt, the Shinden came too late and in insufficient numbers to have any effect on the war. Unlike the Me 262, it never had the chance to prove itself in the air nor make any impression on Allied pilots that would have seen this aircraft in action. A shame, the only example of this design marvel sits in a partially dissembled state at the National Air and Space Museum in Washington D.C.


Quite some time ago, I made a detour down the lone Japanese line in World of Warplanes, long before the second one was added and my goal was to get my hands on a Shinden. After making some minor progress, I took a break from the game and wandered off to other projects. Now, after all that time and using some advice for improving my performance in the Mustang H, I decided to take another look at my Magnificent Lighting and apply some of those lessons learned....

No comments:

Post a Comment