Sunday 7 January 2018

Frustration From Up High


It would appear I am having issues with ground targets.

Back in the Beta Days and going forward to when World of Warplanes launched, I was mostly a Ground Attack player. With the only choice (for the longest time) belonging to the Soviets, I clawed my way up through the tiers, blasting away at buildings, ships and fortified emplacements. Although I would learn to take on aerial foes, the rockets, bombs and shells would still see a lot of dirt burning action.

After parking the IL-40P in my hangar, I just slowly drifted away from that class of aircraft, revisiting them from time to time to accomplish a mission task or try out a new plane brought into the game (the German line and the premiums introduced along the way, such as the Wirraway and Ha. 137 twins). Perhaps my gameplay tastes had changed, since I was flying Fighters and Multi-Roles more.

However, like all things new and despite this "meh" feeling I had with the introduction of Bombers, I couldn't resist the urge to try them out.


The example for part of this discussion comes from a recent battle with my recently acquired tier V German Ju 88A.

Pictured above is a Garrison and with the Alt key depressed to show the additional information.

Something has been nagging me about the latest changes to ground targets. I have been in quite a few matches now where, being who I am, pick out what I think are important selections, drop the payload, only to see another sector flip in much less time, thanks to a player controlled bomber on the enemy team. A similar thing has happened while flying Ground Attack aircraft, but that is a discussion for another time.

So the question is: is there a secret to ground targets? There has to be, either in the playstyle or the target selection itself.


Pictured above is a Command Center with the Alt key depressed to show the additional information.

During the first part of the battle, I went with my team to the lone Garrison in the middle of the map, which turned rather quickly (as to be expected). Then, I broke off and headed north alone to one of two Command Centers, the rest of the team went south. For about the next five to six minutes, frustration settled in.

I bombed the Radar Station, armored and unarmored ground targets, even the ships floating around, I just wasn't turning this sector to our side as fast as I had seen other players doing it. I was very careful not to leave a single target standing, taking out an entire grouping on a pass (I had read/heard somewhere if that happened, and enemy team could swoop in and "steal" the sector, flushing all that time and effort down the drain). The best I could do, on my own, was 3/4 of the job. Then the enemy team came in and flipped it back to their side.


My team completed their objectives and came over to my location, pushing the battle into the final phase. I was tired of staring at the ground and flew off to try something curious....

The tl;dr question is this: is there a secret or pattern to bombing ground targets that somehow speeds up a sector's capture?

No comments:

Post a Comment